Picking at your skin is a major No, No.
Did you know that picking causes 80-90% of acne scaring. Typically cystic acne is the only kind acne that leaves scaring. All other scars are usually caused by improperly extracting the pimple.
1. Never touch a pimple unless it has a white or yellow cap on the top. If it doesn't have one of those it is not ready and no matter how much picking you do you will not get any or all of it out.
2. Wait until your right out of the shower. This makes the skin softer and more pliable.
3. When you do do the extraction always use q-tips NOT your fingernails! Take two q-tips push on either side of the pimple and make a scooping motion to get underneath the pimple. Pushing straight down on the pimple will cause it to break underneath the skin. The skin will then push the bacteria along and you will get another pimple in a different spot.
4. The extraction is done as soon as you see blood. The area will still be raised and swollen. This is normal. If you try to extract until the area is flat you will definitely damage the skin, leaving a scab or even worse a scar!
5. Lastly you have to treat the area immediately. I suggest using a spot treatment with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. In a pinch hydrogen peroxide will work as well.
Again I never recommend doing it yourself but if you follow these rules you will cause much less trauma to the skin. Seeing a professional is the best way to get rid of your blemishes. We are highly trained and have the proper implements to do the job right!